SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 3

Sender:
From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 1995 07:20:53 -0600
Comments:
Authenticated sender is <[log in to unmask]>
> >         I ralize that this is no doubt an old dichotomy to most of you, but
> I'm
> > taking a Film class for the first time and am just curious as to the
> opinions
> > of some people more experienced than I.
>
> First thing I'd do, Rich, is nail down some definitions of "narratives" and
> "spectacles".  I say this not to deter you from your research but to shed
> light on the veritable cornucopia of meanings embedded in those two terms.

And if I could add another definitional angle to the ones Scott
suggested, you might also explore how narrative (the story elements)
has been counterposed to spectacle (the musical/dance "numbers") in
the musical.  Richard Dyer discusses this in terms of how pleasure (a
sense of "utopia") is generated in that genre.

See Dyer's chapter in Rick Altman, ed., _Genre:  The Musical_
(London/Boston:  Routledge & Kegan Paul, 1981).

Jane Feuer touches on similar themes in _The Hollywood Musical_
(Bloomington:  Indiana U. Press, 1982).  See, in particular, her
chapter on "Spectators and Spectacles."

 Jeremy Butler   *  [log in to unmask]   *  [log in to unmask]
      SCREENsite -- a Film/TV-studies site on the World Wide Web:
                http://www.sa.ua.edu/TCF/welcome.htm
 Telecommunication & Film Dept. * University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa