SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 2

From:
Simon Spence <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jul 1995 14:27:13 +0100
     I agree with Mikel Koven that text and context are linked, and that a text,
void of the element of performance, is a very different thing to the staging of
a play for example.

     My field is Greek Tragedy, and the performance of these plays in the
fifth-century B.C. (in masks and costume) was as part of a religious festival.
To try to place this sort of visual context on a page, and expect it to be of
 the
same calibre is sheer folly.

     Also look at the number of novels adapted for the screen.  Have any of
these been true to the text and, if this was the intention of the screen-writer,
how many have succeeded?  In the past few years we have had *Bram
Stoker's Dracula* and *Mary Shelley's Frankenstein*, both of which are
corruptions of the author's original intentions.

There seems to be a large gap between textual source and visual
performance, that gap probably being interpretation/subjectivity!

Simon Spence

           Simon Spence
         M.A. (Research)
   Department of Classics,