SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 2

From:
Gene Stavis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 1995 11:53:55 -0700
----------------------------- Begin Original Text
-----------------------------

what does the champion of
the cinematic lose by allowing that films are texts too? . . . what exactly
are they afraid of, what does this eay of conceiving of films threaten? . . .
----------------------------- End Original Text -----------------------------

In case you have lost the thread of this discussion, we were talking about
what you lose by showing video instead of film. No-one here has said that you
do NOT have the right to discuss film any way you please. We simply object to
the notion (which you have stated several times) that NOTHING substantial is
lost by seeing a film on tape.

By implying that we are "afraid" of something, you have lowered the tone of
this discussion. They only thing I fear is that a dogmatic view of film will
crowd out the rest of the field. "Let a thousand flowers bloom" - just don't
confuse a paper cut-out for a real blossom.

Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC