SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 2

From:
Missy Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 1995 20:31:13 -0600
On Tue, 11 Jul 1995, Jeremy Butler wrote:

> Recently, Mario Gamper asked about citing SCREEN-L (and other on-line
> services).  Here's my standard rundown on this, which I cribbed
> from pal Patrick Leary:

<snip>

>   The Xia Li and Nancy Crane book, _Electronic Style: A Guide to Citing
> Electronic Information_ (1993), appears to have been the first in
> the field with a workable format, based on American Psychological
> Association style.  That book would have a typical citation,
> for example, read this way (the underline marks indicate italics):
>
> Butler, Jeremy.  (1994, September 20).  _Citing SCREEN-L_ [Online].
> _SCREEN-L:  Film and TV Studies Discussion List_.  Available e-mail:

<snip>

Since SCREEN-L is archived I would take this one step further (since
the purpose of citing is to allow the reader to locate the document
for him/her self) I always use the URL.  In citing Jeremy's posting today
I would add:

And I hope that I haven't included a typo!  :-)

Melissa Lee Price (Dr. Missy) | [log in to unmask]
Dept. Jour/Telecom, Northwestern State University of Louisiana

I can't be a WASP, I'm Welsh.