SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 1

From:
"AMB,FIENNES" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jul 1995 08:07:00 PDT
This  happens  twice in  A  Place  In  The  Sun  which  I  viewed  yesterday
on Bravo w/my sister. It happens initially when Clift and Taylor
board her speedboat and the news is on the radio on the boat's dock
you hear the newsreporter saying the body of a woman has been
found but the roar of the boat silences any further ideniftication
of the suspect.Then later when Taylor and Clift are caught speeding
in her car and she is pulled over, the radio in her car is on and
the reporter is giving specifics of the suspect(which is Clift)
but any distinguishing characteristics are removed by the officer
gently warning Taylor about her speeding. Clift is keeping a low
profile and is attempting to listen to the broadcast w/o calling
attention to himself.
In both instances I don't think it is for suspense; for me, its the
guilt that insteeps Clift and his fear of his "other"life
becoming known to the woman he really loves,especially in
light of the fact that he is eventually wrongly accused of the
felonious drowning of the woman ;is wrongly convicted,sentenced
to death in the electric chair and dies for it.A Place is based
on Dreiser's An American Tragedy which itselfs is based on an actualevent
from 1928-1929.Hope this helps!