SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 5

From:
Alison McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 1995 22:42:00 PDT
no particular order ...), Hitchcock's SHADOW OF A DOUBT features
several sequences in which multiple voices overlap and
occasionally drown out each other (e.g. scenes involving
different family members, each of whom is isolated and/or fixated on his or
her own concerns and obsessions). In a much different way, so do some of
the films of, say, Howard Hawks (e.g. HIS GIRL FRIDAY, BRINGING UP BABY)
and Orson Welles (CITIZEN KANE, MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS). Or Bresson, for
that matter.

And there's a moment in Kazan's ON THE WATERFRONT in which Terry
Malloy (Brando) tells Edie (Eva Marie Saint) about the role he
played in her brother's death; the blast of a whistle from a
departing ship down by the docks drowns out his words, but the camera
captures the agonized expressions of both characters in a low-angle
close-up (I *think* -- it's been a few years since I last saw the film).

(Excuse the scatter-shot approach to my response!)

Alison McKee
Department of Film and Television
UCLA