SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 4

From:
Barbara Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Bernstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 1995 18:35:36 EDT
On Thu, 22 Jun 1995 13:31:36 -0700 you wrote:

>A quick and gentle correction to Don Larsson. The "screaming violins" in
>PSYCHO were not violins at all, but a Theramin (sp?); an instrument
>exploited to great heights by the great composer Bernard Hermann. N. Leibman
>
>----
>To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
>in the message. Problems? Contact [log in to unmask]

I don't think this is correct. I have a copy of the handwritten
score, which shows "Vls" playing an E-flat above high C. In the next
measure, a second violin part adds an E-natural, then the violas and
cellos come in. The parts are clearly labelled by instrument name.
Byu the way, this theme, called "The Murder," carries the instructions
"Molto forzando e feroce."

I also listened to a recording and it sure doesn't sound like a
Theremin. You can hear the glissando of the string instruments, and
there's none of that Theremin vibrato.

I know that Miklos Rozsa used the Theremin for Spellbound (and other
scores), but I'm not aware that Bernard Hermann was a proponent.

Barbara Bernstein email: [log in to unmask]
Kinexis, San Francisco, CA