SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 3

From:
Rea Turner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 12:14:46 +1000
>Hi.  I'm a film studies student looking for films about women and their
>friendships with other women. I would also appreciate any bibliographic
>references that you might have. I have screened three films so far:
>Antonia and Jane (Britain), ? and Boebe (Hungary), and Eating. I am
>trying to avoid commercial US features like Thelma and Louise, Steel
>Magnolias etc.
>
>Any assistance you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Whitney Friesen
>University of Victoria
>
>----
>To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
>in the message. Problems? Contact [log in to unmask]
>
>There are a couple of good independent American films...try Desert Hearts,
Go Fish, I've Heard The Mermaids Singing (I think thats the title...it is
about 1987ish), and another beautiful film that is like a low budget
interesting womens road movie called Going Home (I think - something like
that) it stars Meg Tilly. Helen Garner wrote a short story that Jane
Campion made into a film for TV I think just called Friends (the ABC
screened itaround 1986/7). The classic of classics on the subject is called
All About Eve (Bette Davis) and Mildred Peirce (30'3 film Noir) may have
something of interest. I think Ann Kaplan has written on the subject of
women in film with a section on their relationships. Also Molly Haskell has
written on women in cinema, Kay and Peary have written on gender reps, the
celluloid Closet by Russo will provide references. More recently the
brilliant Australian short called Only The Brave about two school friends.
Girlfiends (late 70's American) Murials Wedding maybe (ie they drive off
into the sunset together)? If I can recall some more European ones I'll let
you know but just about anyone who teaches womens studies &/or film or
representations of gender type subjects should have an off the cuff list to
offer. Good luck !
Jo Chichester
c/o Rea Turners email address
Rea Turner - QUT School of Media and Journalism - Brisbane - Australia