SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 2

From:
Peter X Feng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 1995 11:08:32 -0600
Birgit Kellner <[log in to unmask]>
mentioned two films with linguistic (white ethnic) misrepresentations:

>- SPELLBOUND. Before Gregory Peck enters the scene, every main
>character speaks British English, at least an English with a remarkably
>non-US-accent.

Keep in mind that the characters in question are psychoanalysts and/or
psychologists, vaguely intellectual, and therefore vaguely foppish.

RE: Torn Curtain:

>The "misrepresentation" shows a certain misinformedness about the
>intricacies of German dialects or idioms, which makes infantile know-alls
>like myself raise their voices, but that's about all there is to it. In
>other words: The "verisimilitude" doesn't matter in this case. Where does it?

I think you answer your own question: the "where does verisimilitude
matter" question is dependent upon not just the "where" of the text but the
"where" of the reader (aka the infantile know-all) -- stated more simply,
verisimilitude is in the eye (and ear) of the reader, and not part of the
text itself, no?

Peter