SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 2

From:
Gloria Monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 1995 23:57:27 -0400
> *Internal* diegetic sound is rather ambiguous in this regard,
> since we might see a character and "hear" his or her thoughts (as in Olivier's
> Hamlet) and that would clearly be onscreen (but internal) diegetic sound.
> On the other hand, if we hear a character's thoughts and do *not* see him or
> her, the source of that sound (the mind of the character) might be "present"
> but offscreen, might be displaced (nonsimultaneous), or might exist in some
> other function.>

        Marion Crane in the car after she stole the $40,000.  She hears
voices.  How would you define that sound?  Internal diegetic?  It comes
from her thinking process, though it's not her own voice.  She is
reproducing the reactions to her stealing on Friday which will probably
occur on Monday, when the "crime" will be discovered.  She is projecting
sounds in her mind that have not yet occurred.

        Gloria Monti