SCREEN-L Archives

June 1995, Week 1

From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jun 1995 09:16:15 -0500
I'm afraid it's time to toot my own horn a bit and point out that arecently
published anthology, of which I am co-editor, deals DIRECTLY with issues
related to Art history and Cinema studies. The book is the FIRST of its
kind to deal with Asian Art history and cinema (China and Japan). It is
entitled CINEMATIC LANDSCAPES (U of Texas Press, 1994). It might have been
nice if someone else had bothered to mention this book, but since it's not
on Horror films, I guess it doesn't count.
   Also, Brigitte Peucker, INCORPORATING IMAGES, is a new book from
Princeton UP that deals with Cinema Studies and Art History. Similarly,
Dudley Andrew's book FILM IN THE AURA OF ART has something to say on this,
as does the work of Angela Dalle Vacche in various journals and a book
forthcoming (but maybe not for awhile yet) also from Texas Press.
    So while Art historians and Cinema scholars have not exactly saturated
the shelves on the relationship between Art and Film, neither is it quite
the wasteland it may appear.

DD

David Desser,UIUC Cinema Studies
2109 FLB/707 S. Mathews, Urbana, IL 61801
217/244-2705