SCREEN-L Archives

May 1995, Week 5

From:
Missy Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 May 1995 10:28:14 -0600
On Sun, 28 May 1995, Carol J. Slingo wrote:

> An interesting side note is that in India itself, being a movie star in early
> days was off limits for Hindu women of good families, and several silent stars
> of India came from the Jewish community--Sulochana (Ruby Meyers) and Ramola
> are two I can remember.

In that part of the world, for Muslim women, being a part of the
film industry is still not considered respectable.

I was married to a Pakistani and had to listen to many comments
about how my area of study (television and film) was not respectable
enough for a a doctor's wife.  It was much easier to tell people that
I was a professor and leave the subject area vague.

Melissa Lee Price (Dr. Missy) | [log in to unmask]
Dept. Jour/Telecom, Northwestern State University of Louisiana

When the world was flat as a pancake,
Mona Lisa was happy as a clam.  -- John Prine