SCREEN-L Archives

May 1995, Week 5

From:
Mikel Koven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 May 1995 08:38:31 CDT
As the person who started the thread criticizing Seguin, allow me to add
who I think is a "good" critic, and I shall endevour to refrain from
citing too many "academic" critics, for the popular press is truly
lacking from any kind of "intellegent" forum for the discussion of film.

John Harkness, who publishes in Toronto's NOW Weekly, has the perception
and writing skill that is terribly lacking in most critics.
Unfortunately, he tends to be rather full of himself, and his reviews are
often marred by his trying to be overly clever.

Richard Dyer, who I chanced to study with for my Master's degree, is
probably the most perceptive critic I have come across. Although an
academic, his articles in Sight and Sound and his books are quite accessable.

Maurice Yacowar, who I've not had the pleasure of meeting, is also very
good. His article on Pasolini's SALO and film censorship is one
particular highlight (published in CANADIAN FORUM I believe).