SCREEN-L Archives

May 1995, Week 4

From:
Gael Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 May 1995 12:46:34 CDT

        Re Donald Sutherland and his lack of good roles: I was in a computer
software store the other day and saw a computer game called "Conspiracy"
"starring" Donald Sutherland.  I've noticed that a number of computer
games are hiring ex-"stars" (Robert Culp , Malcolm McDowell, Tim Curry) to
"appear" in the games.  Maybe these guys need the work, maybe these
software companies pay really well, I don't know.  But it does bring up
an interesting dilemma for film students: are these films?? Are these
actors "acting"?  Should "Conspiracy" appear on Sutherland's
filmography?  I don't know the answer, but would be interested in any

        And, thinking about the quality of roles for some good actors: I
remember when Olivier appeared in a slew of horrible films ("The Betsy"!)
toward the end of his life, for good or ill.  I believe he felt they
underwrote his stagework -- unfortunately, films, even bad films
(especially bad films?, live on!

Gael Sweeney
Syracuse University