SCREEN-L Archives

May 1995, Week 3

From:
Mikel Koven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 1995 20:49:52 CDT
Warning: Denis Seguin is not exactly the most "reliable" source for
information regarding Cannes. I know Seguin's work through the Toronto
publication (now defunct) Metropolis, and as a film journalist he leaves
much to be desired. Two cases in point:
1. In a full page review of Susan Seidelman's *She Devil*, Seguin admits
to walking out of the film halfway through, in the first paragraph. He
then goes on for more than three cols of type on a film which, by virtue
of the fact that he left before the end, he is not qualified to adjudicate.

2. In an interview with director Denys Arcand (a man quite devoted to
keeping Quebecois culture alive), Seguin opens his interview with: "I
have a French name, but I don't speak French. That's pretty funny, eh?"
Arcand replied that it was Seguin's loss that he could not speak French
(presumably spoken in Arcand's perfect English). Apart from the
insulting nature of Seguin's comment, much like saying to Spike Lee, "you
are the first African-American I've met that didn't own a gun," he
actually printed it, complete with Arcand's biting retort (which Seguin
was seemingly unaware of its tone).

I'm not trying to do a character assassination on Mr. Seguin (honestly,
I've met him and he seems like a nice enough guy), but just warning an
academic audience that Seguin's observations on Cannes are likely to be
as informative as Rex Reed's.

But, as they say, is only my opinion.
Mikel Koven