SCREEN-L Archives

May 1995, Week 1

From:
Jon Paul Buchmeyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 12:58:05 CDT
Wanted to give you information on a new screenplay competition.  The
information and entry forms are below.  Please give us some time to get the
information on the web page SCREENsite (address below).  Please contact me
with any questions.

                                Crescent Films

                                announces the

                   1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition

                        for Screenwriters in Texas
                          and across the Nation!

                co-sponsored by The Irving Texas Film Commission

                     deadline for entry December 31, 1995

1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition
        Crescent Films announces the 1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition
co-sponsored by the Irving Texas Film Commission.  The Competition is open
to all screenwriters, worldwide, who submit an original feature length
screenplay.  All genres will be accepted and scripts will be judged upon
overall quality and commercial marketability.

Prizes
        In addition to the industry exposure that finalist screenplays
receive, winning screenplays earn cash awards.  As an added bonus, all
winners are eligible to sign an option with Crescent Films to represent the
screenplay for a period of one year.  Signing an option is not obligatory.

        All finalist screenplays receive an award certificate.  There are
six prize categories:

*       1st Place Texas Writer $500
*       2nd Place Texas Writer $300
*       1st Place Non-Texas Writer $500
*       2nd Place Non-Texas Writer $300
*       Irving Film Commission Award for Best Script Suitable for Filming
in Texas: 1st Place $500, 2nd Place $300

        Because of Texas' diverse geography and quality studio facilities,
virtually anything can be and has been filmed in Texas.  Currently, Texas
is "Africa" for Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls!  If in doubt, don't worry:
all screenplays will be considered for the Irving Texas Film Commission
Award.
        The winners will be announced in April 1996.  For additional
information now and a complete list of finalists & winners later, visit the
SCREENsite internet web page:
        http://www.sa.ua.edu/tcf/contents.htm
        SCREENsite is a Film/TV-studies site on the world wide web and is
sponsored by the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa Television and Film
Department.

Judges
        Crescent Films is proud to have assembled a wide variety of
industry professionals to serve as judges for the 1995 Lone Star Screenplay
Competition.  Currently scheduled are:
*       Jerry Dale, agent, Writers and Artists, L.A.
*       Sarah Bird, Texas writer, author of The Boyfriend School which she
adapted for the feature film Don't Tell Her It's Me.
*       Alonso Duralde, Artistic Director, USA Film Festival.
*       Ellen Sandoloski, Executive Director, Irving Texas Film Commission.
*       Jennifer Loeb King, President, Crescent Films.

About Crescent Films
        Crescent Films is an independent film and television company
dedicated to the discovery and recognition of the multi-faceted creativity
based in Texas.  The company was formed with Kim Dawson, owner of the
largest talent and modeling agency in the Southwest.  Crescent Films
develops, produces and packages Texas grown film, television and video
projects.
        Prior to forming Crescent Films, Jennifer Loeb King was Vice
President of the Studios at Las Colinas for eight years.  Ms. Loeb King was
instrumental in attracting many prestigious feature films to Dallas
including JFK, Silkwood, Robocop and The Trip to Bountiful.
        Crescent Films is currently in development on several feature
films, a children's television series and three movies for television.  Ms.
Loeb King is executive producer for an independent feature film that begins
filming in Dallas in Fall 1995.
        For more information or questions, contact:

                        Lone Star Screenplay Competition
                            1920 Abrams Pkwy, No. 419
                            Dallas, Texas  75214-3915
                                  214/606-3041

How To Enter
        To enter the 1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition, please send the
following by December 31, 1995:
*       Completed and signed entry form for each screenplay (see below).
You may copy the entry form.
*       Screenplay in U.S. Motion Picture Industry standard format.  You
may submit more than one screenplay.
*       Check or money order for $35.00 per entry made payable to Lone Star
Screenplay Competition.
*       Include a self-addressed stamped postcard if you wish
acknowledgment of the receipt of your screenplay.  Screenplays will not be
returned.
Entries must be postmarked by December 31, 1995 and addressed to:

                        Lone Star Screenplay Competition
                            1920 Abrams Pkwy, No. 419
                            Dallas, Texas  75214-3915

Rules & Regulations
*       Screenplays must not have been optioned or sold at the time of
submission.  You may submit more than one screenplay, each accompanied by
the entry fee.
*       If the submission involves two or more writers, the award will be
divided among them.
*       Screenplays must be the original work of the applicant(s).  If
based upon work in another medium or another person's life story,
applicant(s) must provide a statement verifying the rights to make such an
adaptation.
*       Screenplays should be registered with the Writers Guild of
America/west, 8955 Beverly Blvd., West Hollywood, CA, 90048, 310/550-1000.
Applicants should also consider copyrighting their material with the
Library of Congress.
*       The title of the screenplay, and the title only, should appear on
the front cover.  A title page should include the title, author's name,
author's address and phone number.
*       Each screenplay should be accompanied by a two to three sentence
synopsis.
*       Applicant agrees to provide additional copies of the screenplay
should the applicant become a finalist.

Entry Form
Submit a separate entry form with each screenplay entered.  One check for
total entry fees is permitted.  The entry form may be copied.
Screenplay Title:

Author's Name:
Address:
City:
State:  Zip:
Home Phone:
Work Phone:
How did you learn about the competition:

Please attach to this form a 2-3 Sentence synopsis (required for all
submissions).

Release: Please read the following release and sign where indicated in
connection with your submission of the screenplay (listed above) to the
Crescent Films 1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition.  As a condition of
entering the Competition, I/we hereby certify that:
*       I/we are the author(s) of the screenplay which I/we submitted to
"Crescent Films 1995 Lone Star Screenplay Competition.  I/we are the sole
and exclusive owner of all rights thereto and I/we have full authority to
submit the screenplay to you.
*       I/we will indemnify, defend, and hold harmless the Competition,
Crescent Films, USA Film Festival, Irving Texas Film Commission and
Competition employees, partners and judges, individually and collectively,
including their heirs, personal representatives, officers, directors,
successors and assigns, from and against all claims, demands, losses,
damages, costs, judgments, liabilities and expenses (inlcuding attorney's
fees) arising out of or in connection with any and all claims of third
parties based on any screenplays or other materials submitted by me to the
Competition.
*       I/we hereby grant to the Competition the nonexclusive right to use
my name, photograph and likeness in connection with any and all publicity
and promotional activities regarding the Competition.
*       I/we understand the Competition accepts no liability whatsoever for
non-receipt or loss of my screenplay and I/we hereby agree to remain fully
liable in connection therewith.  I/we further undertand that the
Competition will not return and is not obligated to return my screenplay
(or any other materials I/we have submitted to the Competition) to me.
*       I/we hereby agree to abide by the decisions of the Competition
Sponsors and Competition Judges with regard to all matters and decisions,
including those decisions involving their sole discretion, relating to the
Competition.
I/we have read all the Competition rules and release, understand them and
have complied with them.  I/we further understand that failure to adhere to
the Competition rules will result in disqualification for which no refund
of entry fee(s) is due.

Signature                              Date

Signature                              Date