SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 5

From:
Tony Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Apr 1995 10:58:57 CDT
From: Tony Williams
English
SIUC
The reply concerning the level of instruction in Cinema Studies within
Canada is both highly insulting and ethnocentric. I would suggest the
recipient conduct further research into this area and note the presence
of scholars such as Peter Harcourt, Barry K. Grant, Richard Lippe, Kass
Banning, Robin Wood (retired but still occasionally teaching), Peter Baxter,
Caryl Flynn, Janine Marcessault, Kay Armatage, Florence Jacobwitz, Susan
Morrison, Brian McFarland, Scott Irwin and MANY MANY MORE who are at least
equal to (in several cases better than) many faculty teaching at these
supposedly more prestigious institutions.
  I would also suggest some knowledge of the developing area of Canadian
Cinema taught at several of these institutions be mentioned in any future
discussions.   Tony Williams.