SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 4

From:
Tim Blackmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 13:42:53 CDT
On Apr 24, 10:13am, b.a.rupert wrote:
> Subject: Re: Vietnam Footage
> The photojournalist that you are looking for is Eddie Adams. I don't know
if
> he did the filming - but I do know he was the photojournalist who captured
the
> images. As an aside - there was some questions years later about if the
photo
> had been faked - they tracked down the general who had no quams about
admitting
> that he had shot the prisoner. If I remember correctly - the man who was
> killed had just killed a friend's family.

This is the myth. There has been no actual source for the story. The
"general" (the Saigon chief of police) summarily shot the man. The "just
killed his family" cover story has been one of America's favorite Vietnam war
legends (not unlike the story that claimed a young Canadian soldier was found
crucified with German bayonets in the French trenches).

Tim.

--
Tim Blackmore "You may be big,
York University but I'm small."