SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 2

From:
edwin jahiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 15:25:13 CDT
3 in 1 posting - to minimize clutter

1) I posted this to another group but find it should be more widely
disseminated:

>Peter Giordano forwarded to us a list signed Jean-Marc Vandel
>([log in to unmask]) which gives the films now playing in Switzerland.
>It is very interesting to know such things, to be able to gauge the extent
>and percentage of the American invasion of screens abroad. Perhaps other
>list members can contribute like info.

2) Weeks ago I posted to a group dealing with film music a query or thread
suggestion. About Carl Davis, the American in England who has done marvels
with his scores for silent films. He is the audio equivalent to those
splendid Brits (e.g. Kevin Brownlow) who give new life to restored silents.
Since most of the music for silents that have had it added on is really a
pathetic mishmash of variations (ugh!) on Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky,
Beethoven, et al., and/or pop stuff and/or generally horrid improvisations,
a person like Carl Davis is an international treasure. ---- Alas, not one
of the cognoscenti of the film music group ever posted back anything, while
they have a plethora of stuff on contemporary sound-film composers.

3) A plea. Can more people be specific with the subject of their messages.
And could they capitalize after "Subject" given that the size and
complexity of headers need to have the subject stand out?

Edwin Jahiel, Cinema Studies, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

" Le mauvais gout mene au crime" (Stendhal)