SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 1

From:
Ulf Dalquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 10:44:21 CDT
William Brooks wrote:
>As a followup on the question of racism at the Oscars and in Hollywood in
>general, could someone in the know please tell me if the major European
>film festivals - Cannes, Venice, Berlin, etc. are as Eurocentric in their
>awarding of prizes as the Academy is in theirs?

Well, there's always a big fuzz about the festival in questin having 'sold out'
whenever an american film is being awarded. For some reason, the french critics
seems to be the most aggressive. People were really upset  last year in Cannes,
when <sarcastic mode on> such american trash as Pulp Fiction defeated
Kieslowski's Red <sarcastic mode off>.
BTW, did you yankees know that parts of the european parlament, mainly the
French part, again, is promoting a legal limit to the import of U.S. television
programs. This is NOT a joke!

Ulf
Ulf Dalquist                Phone:  +46 46 104266
Dept. of Sociology          Fax:    +46 46 104794
Box 114 221 00 Lund SWEDEN  E-mail: [log in to unmask]