SCREEN-L Archives

April 1995, Week 1

From:
Birgit Kellner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 10:47:40 CDT

>On a more macro-Screen-L issue, I've noticed a recent trend toward
>TV-bashing and Film (not movies, Film or Cinema) canonizing on this list.
>In the past few weeks, most discussions have concerned Art-Films and
>Art-Film Directors (e.g. Antonioni), TV's horrible societal effects, and
>the Oscars and how they pander to the public (i.e. are shown on TV).

I can't recall any Antonioni-discussions, apart from the one whether and
how he would appear at the Oscar event. The rest was just rambling on
about the Oscars, and if you tell me you had fun watching this show,
then we definitely belong to two different galaxies.

> Are
>there still TV / Popular Culture proponents out there? Does anyone else
>see this type of discussion list as too heavily filmic? Do people want to
>injecting more pro-TV issues here or perhaps divide Screen-L into Film & TV
>sublists? Any suggestions? Am I the only one who cares about this?

Again, I can not recall any specifically anti-TV issues in the past
weeks (maybe we do belong to two different galaxies and receive
two entirely different SCREEN-L-sets...). Also, what does it mean to be
a "TV/Popular Culture proponent"? TV is there, popular culture is there,
films are there, and some people think about the ones, some think about
the others. Not everybody has to think about everything.

> Any suggestions? Am I the only one who cares about this?

No. Just share some of your insights on TV/P.C. (Popular Culture), with us,
and we will be happy.
Birgit Kellner
Institute for Indian Philosophy
University of Hiroshima