SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 5

Sender:
From:
William Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 17:05:26 CST

No, I'm not referring to the middle film of the remarkable trilogy.  I'm
talking about the fact that, at least to the best of my recollection, not
a single person of color stepped up to the podium to accept an award,
with the exception of the special award that Quincy Jones received.

I thought we'd begun to move beyond this sort of thing, but I must say
that after watching the ceremonies on Monday, I'm not so optimistic.  Any
young African-Americans (or Latinos, or Asian-Americans, etc.) who also
watched the show learned the valuable lesson that while they may be good
enough to act, sing and dance in the movies, they certainly aren't
capable of taking part in the technical aspects of film-making.

Anyone else notice this atrocity?

William Brooks