SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 5

From:
Stephen O'Riordan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 1995 16:18:28 CST
>I have just read a biography about the founder of the Cinematheque Francaise,
>Henri Langlois. It is titled "First Citizen of Cinema" Written by
>Cinematheque associate Glenn Myrent and Langlois' brother Georges, it is a
>superb evocation of what a passion for cinema means and I recommend it
>wholeheartedly. It is a Twayne imprint distributed by Simon &
>Shuster/Macmillan & Prentice-Hall (has every publisher merged into one?) in
>hard cover and paper.
>

>Gene Stavis, School of Visual Arts - NYC

> * * * * * *

Gene,

A good companion book to, Henri Langlois; first citizen of Cinema, is
Penelope Houston's, KEEPERS OF THE FRAME, The Film Archives. 1994 BFI. It
is a well written book on the various international archive movements. Iris
Berry at MOMA, Langlois at his cinematheque, lindgren at NFA in the UK, as
well as a host of other movers & shakers. A very good read.

Stephen

Stephen O'Riordan Curator/Archivist
Film/Video Library
Media Center, UCSD