SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 4

From:
Marc Pitre <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 1995 14:28:07 CST

On Mon, 20 Mar 1995, Ghislaine wrote:

> I'm over at the Univ. of West Florida in Pensacola.  We have a very small
> school, but one of the things I keep hearing from professors in our dept.
> (Comm Arts:film, TV, and Radio) is that you don't get much hands-on
> experience at FSU.  I don't work with film right now, but I am getting to
> shoot, edit, and then do post-production every single week on video.

As someone who visited Florida State just over a week ago and is
considering attending their graduate film program, I believe you heard
wrong.  From what I can tell (not a whole lot, mind you), FSU graduate
film students get TONS of hands on experience.  In the first year,
students work with 16mm film and digital sound and editing equipment, all
of which is funded by FSU.  FSU may have it's share of problems, but
hands-on access to equipment is not one of them.

Marc Pitre