SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 4

Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 14:29:21 CST
Professional actors not necessarily at the top of the food chain with whom I
have spoken really do believe that an actor makes his/her biggest statement
in their choice of roles.  It has to do with what roles an actor seeks and
chooses from the start of a career.  Robert Duvall said that he'd immediately
go see any play Gene Hackman did when they were starting in NYC, because he
knew it would always be the most out there production, and gone a week later.
 I find I will forgive an actor in a bad movie, play or tv show if there's
something that comes through, a feeling of why they took the role and what
extra they brought to it.

Speaking of fine acting, does anyone else agree that Rena Owen gives a truly
phenomenal performance as the beleagured wife/mother in _Once Were Warriors_?
 Future Oscar contender?

Mark Netter