SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 4

Sender:
From:
David Desser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 1995 15:29:58 CST
Kudos to Shawn Levy re:  RESERVOIR DOGS and CITY ON FIRE.  While CITY ON
FIRE is a MUCH better film than Mr. Levy implies, he is ABSOLUTELY right
about RD's being "inspired by" the Lam film.  It's a tribute to Tarantino
that he could build an entire film around the closing moments of Lam's
film.  Though it is more than a minute of the Lam film that Tarantino
borrows and expands upon, it is far less, for instance, than Leone borrowed
from Kurosawa for A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (and haven't I said this before or
is this deja vu?).  I do think, alternately, that the three-way pistol
standoff is one of the best things in RD and that is derived exactly from
CITY; still Tarantino deserves more respect than he is apparently getting
from the "net."

DD

David Desser,UIUC Cinema Studies
2109 FLB/707 S. Mathews, Urbana, IL  61801
217/244-2705