SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 4

Sender:
From:
Darrell Varga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 1995 15:31:24 CST
Antonioni's final completed feature was _Identificazione di una donna_
(Identification of a Woman) in 1982. The distributor went bankrupt and the
film was never released widely (not at all in North America), Antonioni tried
unsuccessfully to get the rights back himself. Seymor Chatman's _Antonioni or
the Surface of the World_ has a plot summary.
        His next film was to be called _The Crew_ shot entirely on a ship at
sea off of the English coast. It never got made because Antonioni, due to
health concerns, is not insurable as a director. I heard he had a
debilitating stroke a few years ago.
         Does anybody on the list have an update on the old master's health?
It saddens me to see the erasure of a gifted film artist by the workings of
the film business and ever changing fashions.