SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 4

From:
Fore Steven James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 1995 09:48:29 CST

I will be teaching a new course next fall entitled "World Cinema
Survey."  It's a sophomore-level class that fulfills a university core
distribution requirement, meaning: 1) it's going to be reasonably large
(@125 students),
and 2) it will be top-heavy with non-film majors.  While I will cover
some basic material dealing with film grammar and film history, I am more
interested in making the course as immediately relevant as possible, and
especially for those students who've never taken a film course before
(and may never take another one).  For instance: using Luna Park or Taxi
Blues as a springboard for discussion of the legacy of Soviet film *and*
of the post-Soviet era in general; Spices/Mirch Masala to talk about Indian
middle cinema *and* the place of women in a post-colonial society; Samsara as a
(somewhat anomalous) example of Fifth Generation filmmaking *and* a
symptomatic
reading of PRC economic and political reform; etc., etc.  That is, I'm more
inclined to do this as entry-level cultural studies/political economy.  I've
had a good deal of
success over the last several years with this approach in courses on "Third
World" film and Chinese film; these, however, were pitched at upper-division
undergraduate and graduate students.

So: While I've been pondering and digging around myself, I'd also be very
interested in the suggestions of Screen-L subscribers
regarding appropriate lower-division undergraduate texts and/or readings,
assignments, tests, useful movies, and anything else that occurs to you.
Syllabi that overlap this subject matter and approach would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve Fore
Dept. of RTVF
U. of North Texas