SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 4

From:
liz weis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 08:06:04 CST
Can anybody explain a discrepancy between some 16 mm prints and the
tape versions of the opening credits for Blow-Up? Our tape version,
which is authentic I believe, shows dancers in black and white within
the cut-out letters of the word "BLOWUP" which is laid out on a field
of grass. This concept is important to the figure/ground issue of
perception in the film and repeated with the image of the photographer
which is seen in the last shot against a field of grass and suddenly
pops out--is made to disappear by the director. The 16 print to which
I have access has plain white letters with no action going on inside.
Who would do such a thing? Why?
liz weis, brooklyn college, cuny