SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 3

From:
Tony Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 1995 17:12:46 CST
From: Tony Williams
English
SIUC
 Actually, the legal problems of transferring from PAL-SECAM to NTSC mainly
emerge if one is dealing with tapes already in U.S. distribution. E.G. Due
to U.S. release of the appallingly dubbed BETTER TOMORROW I and HARD BOILED
(John Woo), the original Cantonese versions are no longer officially
available with most distributors. However, there are legal loopholes
over tapes which do not have an American distribitor at present. However,
"Dont Ask Don't Tell" - just go ahead and use for educational purposes
and do not advertize the fact. With the release of certain badly dubbed
tapes for the American market, I know of one distributor who is offering
the Hong Kong versions but at a higher price than his usual material so
interested parties may, at least, gain access to the original versions.
                                          Tony Williams SIU. Carbondale.