SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 3

From:
Bert Deivert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 19:47:04 CST
A couple of years back I asked if anyone had seen Hrafn Gunnlaugsson's
Icelandic film about a Viking boy in Ireland who sees his parents killed
and sister kidnapped by other Vikings. The title is HRAFNINN FLYGUR (The
Raven Flies) and is like a Viking western paying homage to Kurosawa and
Sergio Leone. Someone once mentioned to me that the film had been cut and
dubbed as some action movie, but have no info on it. I am teaching a
Scandinavian cinema class for foreign students here in Sweden and would
like to obtain a copy of it with English subtitles if possible. If anyone
knows of the film, I would appreciate hearing of it. I can heartily
recommend the film, though the other two followup films, The Raven's
Shadow, and the White Viking, which was also a tv series broadcast here in
Sweden, paled in comparison to the brilliant first film. The protagonist's
line "tungur knivur" (heavy knife, about the throwing knives he kills with
(like some Nordic ninja) has become a classic!

tungur filmur,
BERT

* Bert Deivert Film Studies University of Karlstad *
* E-Mail: [log in to unmask] Box 9501 S-651 88 Karlstad *
* Voice: 46-54-83 81 06 SWEDEN *