SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 3

From:
Heiko Recktenwald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 1995 10:19:34 CST
Foreign films with subtitles (written "translation", so to say) should have
a chance, no question. But for the masses, if they can get other stuff ?
On Thu, 16 Mar 1995 15:42:00 CST Kellner said:
>difficult and tiresome than usual. American comedies, e.g., are unwatchable
They could be seen as new movies.
>in German. Besides, to make that point - most dubbing is done in Germany,
>so the humour is German, which does not entirely please those German speaking
>minorities around (viz. Austrians or even South Germans). Also, most
Everybody in germany is a minority.
> dubbing-actors are frequently used in stupid commercials, which gives their
> voice,
>once it appears again in an allegedly serious film, less credibility.
>Can you believe somebody as Hamlet whom you just saw praising diapers on TV?
Ever heard of the "Verfremdungseffekt" ? Btw, it is very fashionable for
many german stars, if there are any, to do commercials. So it must not have
any haut gout.
>Moreover, while dubbing might help those who don't understand the foreign
>language, it frustrates those who do. There is even an argument that precisely
Sometimes I am lazy.
>because films are dubbed, foreign language-teaching in Germany or Austria
>is so poor, as compared to Switzerland or Holland. Also, with sub-titles,
Holland is a very small country and switzerland is a multilingual country.
Dubbing is expensive. For me, Dutch TV is a good source for movies in the
original language with foreign subtitles...., via cable. But those channels
are the first that are kicked out in favour of new newschannels or music.
>if you know the language, you can guess whether the translation is good
>or bad. With dubbing, you obviously can't.
You allways know that it is only amovie and let imagination take over or not