SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 2

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 14:54:26 CST
>Sorry for the Newbie naivete; I'm sure many of you out there are pros,
>experts etc., ...

Judging by the recent Mouseketeers thread, you may be overestimating the
qualifications of the people submitting to this list.

>I'm looking at Film Schools. Knowing next to nothing, my understanding is
>that USC, UCLA & NYU are the "best" (arbitrary term I know) with Columbia
>up there somewhere. Now I know that's like saying only Ivy schools are good
>or something lame like that, but what other schools out there are exciting,
>high quality, "up and coming", etc.

Any film school will only be as good as the effort you put into it.  The
schools you cite will not make you any better a film maker than another
school.  They will provide a network of contacts and access to better
facilities, perhaps.  The competition at those schools can be cutthroat and you
may not get the individual instruction you may need in learning film.  But you
don't state what interest you have in film.  Is it production?  What area?
Cinematography? Sound? Directing? Criticism?  If you're interested in writing
for film, any college with a strong English department would be best.  Just a
tip about going to LA film schools.  Everyone in LA is in the business.  Just
ask the waiter at any restaurant there.