SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 1

From:
d leconte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 1995 12:58:24 CST
To my knowledge, and I'm certainly not a professional in the field (just a
few internships here and there), if the show is picked up for a full
season then the required number is 22 or 24. Big hits get renewels on
multiple season basis. Reasoning being if it was a big hit one season,
it's most likely to be a big hit for several more seasons. The network
would want to secure that hit to be on their, and not on a competing
network. Because, what could happen, is that the next season the studio
that produced the show might want to renegotiate a price for its hit show, and
take it up for bidding against other networks. So actually the trends
that you see in ordering by the networks from the studios is either very
long commitments on HIT SHOWs, or hardly any commitment on unknown shows
or mediocrely performing shows. The usual number here is probably 6 to
at maximum 12 shows.
        As far as Dateline NBC, since it's a network-produced show they
have more flexibility with scheduling it. They are the producers.

I Hope this was of some help to you

GreETings

Dominik Leconte
Bowling Green State University