SCREEN-L Archives

March 1995, Week 1

From:
Brent Kelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 1995 08:05:29 CST
Cheryl:

I participated in the Walt Disney World College Program -- which is a
program that staffs the Walt Disney World Resort while providing a
living and working experience. At the completion of my college program,
which was an extended program centered around the opening of the Disney/MGM
studios, I received a dipolma from Disney University.

Student who come by my office today always ask about Disney University and the
programs they offer. Not only did they supervise the business lecture portion
of the College Program, but they also are also responsible for the training and
orientation of new cast members (employees). They are charged with making sure
that eveyone working with the company is familiar with the operating procedures
and philosphies of Walt Disney World. Other division of the company have
units of Disney University -- I cannot testify to the function that each of
these provides, but I assume that it is very similar.

Disney University is a very well run part of Walt Disney World. They are
directly involved in keeping cast members informed of coming events through
some very detailed publications (at WDW it's called "Eyes and Ears") and
by offering training and re-training all year long.

I know that some classes are taught at Disney University for college credit,
these are offered in conjunction with the University of Central Florida or
Valencia Community College are really are extension classes. I have been
told by friends of mine that Disney University would very much like to become
an accredited institution -- they are constantly expanding their course
offering and do currently work to provide some training to business
professionals that are not Disney employees.

I hope that this answers your questions. The best people to talk to about
Disney University's long-term goals are at Walt Disney World or at the
corporate offices in Burbank. They have always been super helpful; providing
me extensive support and access as I completed my masters.

Please let me know if you need phone numbers or contacts.

Brent

BRENT KELLEY
LOUISIANA STATE UNIVERSITY
(504) 388-1175 VOICE (504) 388-5991 FAX