SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 2

From:
Marvin Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 20:11:37 CST
I have recently seen the word "elitism" used in reference to PBS/NPR. I've
also noted on other listservs the word used in a negative sense. On my own
campus, "elitism" while never defined is something to be avoided.

Perhaps someone could explain to me within the context of film, higher
education, or the arts in general exactly what this elitism thing is and how we
who attempt to motivate students to achieve excellence can do so without their
becoming "elitist."

Thank-you

Marvin Smith, Chair, Department of Radio-Television,
Eastern Washington University