SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 2

From:
edwin jahiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 17:04:09 CST
Given (a)= the many,infuriating recent glitches of the server I use (b)=
the numberof messages I get --when I do get them (c)= (a) plus (b)
combined.....I cannot tell which people where kept asking who was the actor
who got the main award at Cannes 1994.

To apologize for my delay, I'll mention all the main awards by the main
Juries, meaning the big so-called "official" jury and those of FIPRESCI and
THE FRENCH CRITICS ASS'N
 =   =  =  =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =   =
Camera d'Or for best first work PETITS ARRANGEMENTS AVEC LA MORT by Pascale
Ferrand

Short: SYRUP by Paul (?) (can't remember lastname) and THE HERO, Mexican
animation

[Note: Hero has no final e, as in potatoE]

Jury Prize: LA REINE MARGOT for originality of cinematography and music
Script Prize (a new Award, or rather revived after 10 years): to Michel
Blanc for GROSSE FATIGUE [last time this prize was given was to Theo
Angelopoulos in 1986 for VOYAGE TO CYTHERA]
Prix de Mise en Scene (i.e. BEST DIRECTOR although it really means Best
DirecTION, a subtle difference): Nanni Moretti for DEAR DIARY
BEST ACTOR: Ge You (or Yu) in TO LIVE
BEST ACTRESS: Virna Lisi in LA REINE MARGOT
GRAND JURY PRIZE: TO LIVE by Zhan Yimou  & SOLEIL TROMPEUR (ie The Cheating
Sun)  by Nikita Mikhalkov
GOLDEN PALM FOR BEST FILM: PULP FICTION

Notes: The awards are as I noted them during the ceremony, that is, in the
usual ranking of increasing importance (and production of suspense)
The main surprise was Virna Lisi's prize. I had skipped that film, a
standard strategy since you can pospone Big movies that will make it to the
US as well as many US movies, and concentrate on what may never reach
American screens.(By American I do not mean North American, since Canada is
light years ahead of us in the art and scope of showing films from many
countries).

Bypassed films includes: HUDSCUCKER PROXY, MRS PARKER etc., EXOTICA, QUEEN
OF THE NIGHT (Ripstein, Mexico), AN UNFORGETTABLE SUMMER (Lucian Pintile,
Romania), BARNABO OF THE MOUNTAINS (Mario Brenta, a great Italian), THREE
COLORS: RED, THE BROWNING VERSION (Mike Figgis),A PURE FORMALITY
(Tornatore), THE PATRIOTS (Eric Rochant- France),LE BUTTANE (THE WHORES,
Aurelio Grimaldi, Italy), and others,

A mixed bag. Some were very good but youn just knew they wouldn't make it
as they were not "Festival" type films, had too small a scale, like the
Pintile or the Gimaldi. MRS. PARKER was, I am sure,too Algonquin & language
anchored to be fully appreciated. EXOTICA riled many. The Ripstein and the
Tornatore were real letdowns. The Brenta is much too subtle and in its way,
stylized. It had a lot of negative reactions, several neutral, and a few
praised to the skies. I was one of the latter. The Kieslowski was in
general deemed not as good as his other two colors.
THE FIPRESCI AWARDS (Int'l Federation of Film Critics):

EXOTICA (Canada) by Atom Egoyan (in competition) and BAB-EL-OUED CITY (not
competing) by Merzak Allouache (Algeria)

THE FRENCH ASS'N OF FILM CRITICS:

CLERKS by Kevin Smith (USA) and short PERFORMANCE ANXIETY by David Ewing

Edwin Jahiel, Cinema Studies, University of Illinois

" Le mauvais gout mene au crime" (Stendhal)