SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 2

From:
Dana Polan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 1995 20:17:51 CST
From Dana Polan...

"The Paris Center for Critical Studies invites applications for the 1995-1996
academic year (or semesters) from advanced undergraduates and graduate students
interested in taking courses taught by luminaries of the French intellectual
scene in areas such as film history and aesthetics, contemporary French
philosophy and critical thought, literary criticism and French literature, and
suchlike. Current courses include: Cinema and Popular Culture; Sex, Class, and
Nation in French Cinema, 1930s-1950s; Cinema and Photography; Roland Barthes and
Contemporary Thought; Between Documentary and Fiction; French Film of the 1930s;
Films of Stanley Kubrick; Sartre and Flaubert; French Writing Workshop;
Caribbean and African Film; The "I" in Literature; Subjectivity and Sexual
Difference. Our film courses are taught by such figures as Noel Burch, Michel
Marie, Michele Lagny, Philippe Dubois, Roger Odin, Dana Polan. All courses are
taught in French and are preceded by a several week intensive language program.

        The program has cross-registration agreements with the Universite de
Paris III (la Sorbonne Nouvelle), where many of the major French film professors
teach courses on film history and theory, and with the College International de
Philosophie. We encourage students to take courses out-of--center in order to
study with other important figures on the French scene (for instance, there are
students right now taking classes with Julia Kristeva, Helene Cixous, the
historian Roger Chartier).
        We also run a regular conference series. This year, we've had talks by
(among others): Jean-Francois Lyotard, Gerard Genette, Janet Bergstrom, Tom
Levin, Pierre Sorlin. In March, a series of events will be devoted to classical
french cinema (including lectures by Dudley Andrew and Genevieve Sellier).
        In addition to the academic program, the Center also facilitates the
logistics of a stay in France including processing of students'
cartes-de-sejour,opening of French bank accounts, and obtaining Paris university
student cards. There is also a highly efficient and effective housing service
that helps students find lodging. We also organize various outings and cultural
events (for example, there is a group that regular goes to the Theatre de
l'Odeon at a discounted price, we've done visits to Chateaux in the Loire
valley, and so on).
        There is a videotheque at the Center with 2 multistandard VCRs/monitors
and a large collection of classics of French and American cinema.
        The Program is sponsored by the Council on International Educational
Exchange, a non-profit organization. Current fees (payable to CIEE in NY) are
fall semester: $5950, spring semester $5750, academic year: $8750.

        For further information on the content of the program: contact the
Resident Director, Dana Polan, by mail (Centre Parisien d'Etudes Critiques, 1
place de l'Odeon, 75006, Paris, France) or by email
([log in to unmask]). For application materials, write to: University
Programs, CIEE, 205 E. 42 St., NY, NY 10017-5706 USA."