SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

From:
Melissa Lee Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 16:54:28 CST

On Mon, 6 Feb 1995 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> I received an interesting e-mail from one who feels that production companies
> who go to the carolina's to make their films, are doing so for the following
> reasons:  (quote...)
>
> "DandyDane:
>
> The PRIMARY reason the carolinas see so much production biz is because both
> the state and the production workers prositute themselves in such a way that
> it's hard for a production to pass you up.  If all things were equal, i.e.
> technician wages, tax programs, etc. in every state, the carolinas would not
> see nearly the amount of production it now receives." (unquote)
>
> I am curious as to your take on this attitude...do you agree - and if you
> know, is this a general consensus??

As someone who is originally from SOUTH Carolina I wonder WHICH Carolina
the article is referencing.  NORTH Carolina gets a lot of films because
of the studios there.  SOUTH Carolina gets a fair number of films because
of the coastal locations.  BOTH states do have a film commission and I
would guess almost all 50 states have the same type of organization.

The SC film commission does indeed try to lure film and television
production, even to the point of having a specific film and video
course of study at the Charleston SC technical school.  The state
offers a trained workforce and excellent locations.  As for the
charge that workers are cheaper to hire in the Carolinas than in
California.... that charge could be applied to almost *every* job,
including college professors, and attorneys.  But then an average
house in Columbia SC is about 80,000.... can you say the same for
Los Angeles?

-Missy
Melissa Lee Price, Department of Journalism and Telecommunication
Northwestern State University of Louisiana  318.357-4402