SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

From:
Gorham A Kindem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 12:36:31 CST
It seems to me that there are some very compelling arguments
in favor of PBS and NPR that were made before Congress
immediately after detractors, such as L. Jarvik testified.
First, people actually get an education through PBS stations
that provide high school equivalency programs and courses.
Public television started out as educational television, and
this role continues to be an important one.
Second, the educational mission is a pervasive one. How many
commercial programs have followed Reading Rainbow's lead in
using television to promote reading books, or the lead of
other PBS programs in terms of teaching reading or encouraging
a cooperative in addition to a competitive approach to life?
Is there any other children's programming that is as profoundly
educational as that which has appeared on PBS?
Third as much as forty+per cent of the population doesn't have
access to cable, can't afford it, or has chosen not to subscribe.
Nothing is a ubiquitous as broadcast television. Does anyone
really believe that commercial broadcasters will step forward
to fill the void left by defunct PBS stations with comparable
programming?
Fourth, is there a better source of noncommercial art and culture,
as opposed to commercial popular culture, than PBS and NPR, and
won't our society be impoverished if both forms of art and culture
aren't available to virtually everyone? $1 per year seems a small
price to pay, and a real bargain given the amount of additional
money it generates, to ensure universal coverage, at least from
my point of view. I don't pretend to be a neutral observer, however
since I have produced documentaries that have been broadcast over
PBS, one of which was also cablecast by the Discovery Channel, but then
it didn't reach as many people, and since it dealt with African
American art and culture it was very important to me that it be
freely available to everyone. A portion of the film was also
shown on Reading Rainbow, where it made a very small contribution
to encouraging Americans to appreciate African American culture
and to read.
Gorham "Hap" Kindem