SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

From:
Tara Ellis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 15:09:46 CST
The comparison is interesting but not very apt. CBC television relies on
advertising revenue as it is the only arm of the public television networks
that generates a profit.

There is ongoing controversy regarding both the network's reliance on
advertising revenue and its broadcasting of such incredibly popular sports
programs as Hockey Night In Canada (surely the most Cdn. of entertainment!)
Some critics think that CBC should just set up a video camera and shoot
stage plays. But there really is no other true Canadian channel. We're
currently running at 80% Canadian content. Other Cdn. networks provide some
Cdn. programming while surviving financially by broadcasting popular U.S.
shows. We like to think that our programming complements what the other
networks have to offer rather than competing with them.

The mandate of CBC tv is, loosely, to provide Canadian programming to which
all Canadians can have access. This includes drama (movies, mini-series,
dramatic series) arts, variety, children's, and, of course, news, current
affairs and documentary programming.

As well, government funding is tenuous and handed down yearly in the federal
government's budget. We will hear this week what they have in store for us,
but it's not sounding good. There are rumours of huge cuts. About four
years ago, we had a 10% cut in our operating budget. Ten owned and operated
stations across Canada were closed and thousands were laid off.

I'm not good with statistics but I think that it costs about $6 a year for
each Canadian to run the CBC, radio & tv.

T.

>With a population of approximately 30 million Canada spends up to 1 billion
>per year on the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation - the public broadcaster
>for both radio and television with services in several languages (French,
>English, Inuit...) It makes for a very interesting comparison.

Tara Ellis