SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 11:49:55 CST
You are forgetting the fact that the overwhelming majority of those working
in the entertainment industry are politically left of center, as the more
liberal politicians are generally the only ones who seem to be dedicated to
the preservation and support of the arts.  Reagan may have been an actor, but
his tenure in office barely reflected that.  I'm sorry, but I suspect you
will be in the minority of those on this forum protesting to the posting re
NPP and PBS.  I certainly will protest strong and loud against anything that
threatens my livelihood and as long as the conservatives seem to feel that
building nuclear weapons is more important than guaranteeing educational
programming (which will never garner the advertising dollars or neilsen
ratings of Seinfeld or ER) in a country that is increasingly becoming the
least literate first world country, I will be fighting for the liberals to
come back into office.  I applaud whoever posted the action alert as I
downloaded it and copied it to all my friends, who have faxed it on to their
congressmen.  I would like to suggest that in addition to IRS forms offering
a checkbox to donate money to the presidential election, that the box also
offering us the choice to donate that same amount instead to NPR/PBS/NEA.
 This money does not come out of a refund or add to the amount owed, so
obviously this money is there, waiting for our approval to use it.  I would
like to be offered an alternate place for it to be spent than by beauracrats.
 I would safely bet the arts would be voted a significantly higher amount
than the elections and the "government subsidy" of the arts would be lowered
to nothing if every American pledged their dollar toward it.