SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

From:
John McInnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John McInnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Feb 1995 16:49:30 CST
        I enjoy a nice civilized conflict as much as the next
testosterone junkie, but Jeremy's reminder is well-received. Some of the
recent postings have been merely educated versions of the "flame wars"
which perpetuate elsewhere on the net. Nonetheless, I too feel the need
to enter the arena of debate (though I will doubtless regret it later):

1. Marilyn Robinson has "exposed" the Center for the Study of Pop
Culture with which Larry Jarvik is affiliated as a "conservative think
tank." Recently, a number of contributors to this list were up in arms
regarding the continuing demonization of the term "liberal." I
wholeheartedly concur that there are no grounds for deeming "liberal" a
derogatory term. However, must we engage in a similar rhetorical
disservice by invoking the "conservative" as a dreaded spectre of
oppression? Must we now have the "c-word" in addition to the "l-word"?
I may not personally agree with any conservative agenda the CSPC might
possess, but I feel that the implication of Marilyn's posting--that this
agenda somehow renders Larry's opinions inherently unworthly of
consideration--is dangerous. We *all* have something to contribute--even
silly moderates like me.

2. Molly Olsen suggests that DTS invalidates PBS' position as a widely
available source of non-network programming. It is my understanding--and
please correct me if I'm wrong--that DTS charges periodic fees to
continue to receive programming. If this is the case, DTS users are not
merely paying for the *equipment*, but also for the programming; such a
situation equates DTS with cable. Viewing PBS requires that one
necessarily possess a television first, but the fact remains that the
*programming* is free--a fine distinction, but an important one. Larry
Jarvik posits that one *does* pay, albiet indirectly; however, a viewer
may receive PBS regardless of his/her status with regard to taxation. In
other words, the tax-exempt (for whatever reason--I'm thinking of students
here, though) don't pay for PBS, even indirectly. The bottom line is that
PBS doesn't make anyone dole out any filthy lucre for entertainment up front,
which places them in an entirely different category ideologically. The
whole idea of PBS is that people deserve this programming, and that they
deserve it for free.

3. Shawn Levy's response to Freelancer is on the money in stating that
any critical perspective on a public work of art is a basically valid one,
but Shawn makes a serious error in stating that the production conditions are
absolutely meaningless. One can argue over intentionality until the cows
come home (wherever *that* is), but Shawn's own position states that a
critical view based upon presumed intentionality is at least worthy of
consideration. Heavy analysis of a work *can* interfere with one's
enjoyment of the work, but this phenomenon doesn't mean we should all put
down our keyboards and accept everything at face value.

4. I saw the "Western" episode of AMERICAN CINEMA over the weekend, and
I find my opinion of the series dropping with each installment (though in
its defense, I thought the description to Welles as "the first
director-star" was a reference to his *starring* in KANE as well as
directing, rather than to his lofty status as a director). The series
is limited in its scope by its very concept (which precluded a necessary
dicussion of the Spaghetti Western in the recent episode); furthermore,
the producers of the show have narrowly concentrated on the 1930-1960 and
1980-1994 periods. Hollywood's Golden Age and recent successes receive
great steaming wads of attention, while the innovations of the sixties
and seventies receive little more than a footnote. While the series does
make use of difficult-to-acquire clips, these clips are as Gene Stavis
writes, from well-established films. Additionally, these clips are run
to death: "The Western" painfully overused clips from the same six
films. At this point, the series is better left to video store regulars
than scholars.

        I could go on to state that PBS' educational content (which
certainly *is* present) necessitates mass availability--or that PBS
*does* run mass-appeal, non-"elitist" programming--or that, contrary to
what MafiaCat writes, the overwhelming majority of the entertainment
community is *not* leftist--or that Henry Jenkins might be right that
this entire business might be a ruse--but I won't. I've gotten enough
off my chest. Now can we just go back to a lively discussion of PULP
FICTION?

                                John McInnes
                                University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign