SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Feb 1995 15:21:12 CST
Many of the recent posts regarding topics such as PBS funding and
the interpretation of music videos have strayed from SCREEN-L's
guidelines.  I've been holding to the principle that the best
moderating is the least moderating, but there've been a couple of posts I
let through only after my finger hovered over the DELETE key for
a several seconds.

Please, folks, let's keep things civil...

                       SCREEN-L'S FOUNDING PRINCIPLE

   SCREEN-L is designed for persons teaching, researching, and
   making film and television--whether they are film/TV
   educators, students, professionals, media librarians, or
   self-schooled fans.  Discussion, therefore, is invited
   regarding film/TV criticism, theory, history, production
   issues, and teaching.

   In other words, SCREEN-L messages should somehow relate to
   the *study* of film and TV, not just the casual enjoyment of
   these media.  This is interpreted rather broadly.  Postings
   to SCREEN-L need not be dry, didactic treatises from which
   all joy has been crushed.  But also, they should not noodle
   on about, say, the poster's penchant for full-lipped actors.

   CINEMA-L, a lively list also devoted to film, provides an
   entertaining forum for folks wanting to chat more informally
   about the movies.  Its address is [log in to unmask]  There
   are other film and TV lists available as well.  Contact Jeremy
   Butler for more details.

                            SCREEN-L GUIDELINES

1. SCREEN-L messages should maintain a sense of collegial
   respect for SCREEN-L's subscribers, even when disagreeing
   with the opinions of others.

   Personal attacks on subscribers will not be tolerated.

2. Identities are not always clear from the headers sent with e-
   mail messages.  It's always a good idea to sign your message
   with something more human sounding than your e-mail address
   (e.g., Jeremy Butler rather than [log in to unmask]).

3. Each SCREEN-L message should include a descriptive "subject"
   heading.

   SCREEN-L's "digest" (see below) and most e-mail systems use
   subject lines in their listing of messages.  Descriptive
   subject lines greatly facilitate subscribers' use of SCREEN-L.

4. SCREEN-L messages are sent to hundreds of subscribers.  Users
   should avoid sending personal messages to a single person
   through SCREEN-L.

The first thing the communists will do when they take over a country
is to outlaw cockfighting.
                         --John Monks, Oklahoma state senator, while
                           defending cockfighting (1994)

| Jeremy Butler - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [log in to unmask] |
| SCREEN-L Coordinator                                                   |
| Telecommunication & Film Dept * The University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa |