SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 12:34:06 CST
----------------------Original Message-------------------------
>Even if children are limited by their parents
>in their viewing, friends, classmates and others are influenced
>by what television projects. The idea that viewing is only a
>personal matter negates the dynamic interrelation that occurs
>between media and society, and although it is not simple to
>understand how this dynamic operates it must be addressed within
>a social as well as a personal context.

I don't use pornography, but I'm sure that there are people around me who
do...using your argument about the "dynamic interrelation...between media and
society", pornography (which could be considered part of the press, in it's
printed form) should be approached with the same caution that this discussion
of television in education is being approached. (Sorry to bring up
pornography, but it was just the first of a long list of things that fit the
same argument presented above) No doubt, regardless of my own view of
pornography, it's affecting me in some way, either by the men that I
associate with who use it, or by creating women who are overly cautious of
men, because of a bad experience with a guy who used it. I won't go on
further, but I'm sure you can see how this "dynamic interrelation" affects
every part of society, from television, radio, music, and newspapers, to
pornography, handgun laws, and even Nike's "Just Do It" advertising,
resulting in violence galore, over a pair of shoes.

Not to argue over the correctness of the media & society issue any longer,
for actually, I am on the side that believes that it is true. My question:
What can be done to decrease the effects on society, besides taking
responsibility for ones own actions, and encouraging parental interaction
with children, instead of sitting them in front of the television, and using
it as a babysitter?

:::::[log in to unmask] (Aaron Michaels):::::
:::::WIFC-FM / WSAU-AM --- Wausau, WI:::::
:::::Univ. of Wisconsin -- Stevens Point:::::