SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

From:
liz weis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 12:32:59 CST
A recent posting mentioned undergrad schools at CUNY which offer filmmaking.
ing courses. For those who don't need a degree (though we do offer
undergraduate majors in film production and film studies to about 75
students) Brooklyn College also offers a Certificate in Film. This is a
33-credit program, mostly of film production courses, for those who
needn't matriculate. At least half of our students are from foreign
countries and already have undergraduate degrees. We don't have much
money for film processing, but we do have many flatbeds, camerasand the
like. We also have terrific esprit de corps and students who are well
educated and learn multi-cultural concepts the fun way--from each other.
The Certificate, by the way, is a New York State entity--though it
probably wouldn't get its holders a teaching job. Hope this isn't
advertising--just informative. Call 718 951-5664 for information at the
Film Department or e-mail me at evwbc.cunyvum.cuny.edu. A year at CUNY is 2450
$ last I heard so our Certificate is probably a bit more than that, as most
students take a year and a half. I'm not a production teacher, so would have
to pass you on to the head of production for details of our equipment. Good
luck. Liz Weis, Professor of Film (studies), Brooklyn College