SCREEN-L Archives

February 1995, Week 1

From:
Paul Ramaeker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Feb 1995 12:35:29 CST
Freelancer writes:
>Now as far as over-analizing weather or not Music Vidos fall into the
>"post-industrial" whatever catagory...STOP NOW! anatytical discussions on
>art take away from the work. Music vidoes are simply there for people to enjoy
>as a representation of the artist's (the Dir, DP, Musician) vision...simply
>that...don't put more into it/them than they diserve...it's not worth it.
Excuse me, we shouldn't write on one of the most influential cultural forms
of the contemporary period? In fact, should we not analyze anything,
claiming that it's the artist's vision? I should think this is patently
ridiculous; I wouldn't even bother to respond, but for Christ's sake, maybe
you should get onto another discussion group! Maybe you've missed this,
but "analysis" is our job!

As for the avant-garde/MTV thing, who is to judge who should borrow formal
devices from who? That's how art works. After all, a) all the borrowing
in the world doesn't change the original; b) MTV does, as has been said,
give plenty of work to avant-garde filmmakers; c) maybe some in the
audience will end up more receptive to the avant-garde as a result.-

-PBRamaeker