SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 5

From:
Michael Rosenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 15:58:30 CST

On Fri, 27 Jan 1995 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> This is reminiscent of the Daisy (?) camera, which anticipated those throw-
> away cameras on the market now.  It was made with a plastic lens that was
> full of distortion and professional photographers latched on to it for
> the interesting visions it created.  There's a book that collects such
> work--I can find the biblio. if anyone wants it.
>
> --Don Larsson, Mankato State U., MN

The camera Don Larsson is referring to is the Diana, manufactured in the
early 60's by the Great Wall Plastic Factory of Hong Kong and imported by
the Power Sales Company of Willow Grove, PA (I feel like Whitman reeling
off these names). A book of pulished in 1980 by The Friends of
Photography (then in Carmel) called _The Diana Show_. There is also a
gloriously beautiful book of pictures taken with a Diana by Nancy Rexroth
called _IOWA_, published by Violet Press in 1977. ("Thanks, National
Endowment" on the dedication page). Both books are quite wonderful; both
are out of print. I wish you could see them.