SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 5

From:
Mark Kawakami <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 15:54:28 CST
I got a Pixelvision camera in 1989, as a freshamn in high school. I had a
lot of fun with it, until my family got a *real* camcorder, at which is was
abandoned. But I still imagine some useful applications in narrative films
(as a replacement for a security camera?) as well as avant-garde cinema. As
long as we are talking about films on the format, there is a film festival
sponsored in part by Sony. It is called something like the "Home-Video
festival" or something. The rules state that all films must be shot on a
home format (vhs, Hi-*, etc.). A couple of years ago, the winner of the
festival was a film recorded on the PXL. The man who filmed it had a bad
accident, and while in the hospital, his friends got him one of the
Fisher-Price cameras. He documented his recovery with it, and ended up
winning the festival. I have absolutely no idea what the name of this film
was, I haven't even seen it. If anyone knows, or has a clueo ahead and post
it.