SCREEN-L Archives

January 1995, Week 5

From:
RON CURTIS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jan 1995 16:09:46 CST
I'm curious about if and how cd-rom and internet technologies are
being brought into the language arts classroom.

Do you use or know of people who use cd-rom or internet in their
classes?  Here in Canada we have the schoolnet project, which is
connecting up schools to the internet.  I'm not sure of how
widely schoolnet is available or how it is being used by lang.
arts teachers, however (beyond what is obvious from the schoolnet
gopher and usenet cites).  I seems to me that internet access in
the classroom would be a wonderful thing for language arts
teachers, since all interaction with the net requires two of
the basic skills: reading and writing.  But how many are using it
and what are they doing with it?  Do you know of any published
sources or electronic journal articles dealing with this subject?

The use of cd-rom would, it seems to me, also have a lot of potential.
Unfortunately, I don't know of actual cd-rom software that
would be specifically applicable, especially at the secondary level.
Given the sofistication of much of the current cd-rom software, I'd
think that it would be possible to utilize this technology for
teaching in the language arts.

To complicate matters a bit further, it would also be within the
framework of media literacy programs to examine and critcally
investigate both cd-rom and internet as media with much social
impact at this point.  Is this sort of analysis taking place?  How
is it being approached?

Thanks for your input.
Ron